What is cortisol?
Cortisol is made from the adrenal gland. Cortisol is the 'master' of all hormones and adequate cortisol function allows our bodies to respond to various stressors.
Stress is an inevitable part of life, but when stress becomes out of proportion, it takes a toll on overall health. It is estimated that 90% of medically-related issues are linked to stress. Elevated cortisol interferers with the function of other essential hormones, and can results in insulin and thyroid resistance, estrogen dominance, progesterone deficiencies and testosterone fluctuations.
What causes stress?
- Skipping meals
- Environmental toxicity exposure
- Death of a family member
- Birth of a child
- Major personal illness
- Job/financial worries
- Relationships/Marriage/ Divorce
Adrenal Dysfunction Symptoms:
- Difficulty awakening from sleep in the morning, often hitting the snooze button multiple times.
- Need coffee to get going in the morning.
- Gain weight, especially around the middle.
- Get every cold and flu bug that is going around. Feels like your immune system is shot.
- More difficulty dealing with stress and deadline pressure than you used to.
- Lack of interest in sex.
- Feel lightheaded upon standing quickly.
- Poor memory or “brain fog."
- • Feel tired in the afternoons between 3-5pm.
- Feel the need to snack or eat frequently to maintain a normal blood sugar.
- Crave salty foods.
- Feel extremely tired between 7-10pm but get a second wind if you stay up later.
- If female, struggle with PMS: heavy bleeding, moodiness, fatigue during menstrual cycle.
- If you are male, do you feel like your stamina, energy and ability to maintain muscle are decreased?
- Pain in the upper back or neck with no apparent reason.
- Do you notice improvement of symptoms stress levels are lower, such as during a vacation or time away from work?
Causes of Adrenal Disorders
- Excess stress
- Undiagnosed hypothyroid
- Lack of relaxation
- Negative attitudes & beliefs
- Unwanted employment
- Marital stress
- Lack of good food
- Sugar and white flour
- Smoking* lack of sleep
- Toxins* infections
- Death of a loved one
Chronic Stress & Fatigue Syndrome
Eliminate the negative effects of stress on your health and hpa axis
- Sleep disturbances
- Hormone imbalance
- Chronic pain & Fatigue
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Overweight & obesity
- Mood instability
- Blood sugar issues & Insulin disorders